What is the most difficult part about writing for you?
Actually doing the writing itself. I work a full-time 9-5 day job and my commute—each way—is about an hour and a half, barring any public transit delays. Forcing myself to sit down and write when I get home from work at 6pm and I’ve been up since 5:30am is often the hardest part of my writing process.
Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?
- Write what you want to write. Whether that’s a high-fantasy novel about witch sisters trying to take over Hell or about twin brothers who are in love with each other. Someone out there will read it.
- If your story idea sounds vaguely like a novel someone else has already published, write it anyway. There’s a very good chance your book won’t sound or be anything like the one that’s published because every author writes differently and has his or her own unique way of telling stories.
- Start making connections in the writing industry early. If you’re in the drafting stage and don’t intend to publish anything for a while, that’s okay. Make internet friends with other authors in your genre by joining their Facebook Groups and interacting with them in other FB groups dedicated to your genre. Join local writing groups, if you can, or even online ones. This will be hugely helpful when you’re ready to finally release your book because a) you’ll have experienced professionals to ask questions of (because trust me—you will have questions) and b) those authors may help you promote your book. For the most part, it’s a friendly industry and help is always there if you need it!
Can you share with us something about the book that isn’t in the blurb?
Shots on Goal is an opposites-attract romance featuring:
- A prickly NHL player who cooks his way into his teammates’ hearts;
- An optimistic, yoga-loving college senior;
- Lots of cozy winter-in-Vermont feels;
- Made family.
Do you have any new series planned?
Yes! As a matter of fact, I do. One I’m equal parts nervous and excited about. It’s called Winsdor, Wyoming, and it’s a cowboy romance trilogy. All three novels will be set in the fictional ranching town of Windsor, Wyoming.
The first book, Home for a Cowboy (working title), will be released this June. It features Marco—who was a small side character in On the Ice (Stick Side #1)—and his college crush, Lassiter, and is a new adult romance with lots of pining and lots of stargazing.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Read! (Isn’t that every writer’s answer?) I adore reading and I have way too many books on my TBR pile. I’ve always got a book on the go. I also love spending time with my niece. She’s two and watching her personality develop is so much fun. I’ve also gotten into bookstagram the past couple of years, so if you’re on Instagram come follow me for all sorts of book recommendations.
What do you read in your free time?
I read lots of m/m romance and young adult fantasy. Occasionally, I’ll also read young adult contemporary, but only if it’s LGBTQ-themed.
Release blitz giveaway
Instagram tour giveaway:
Comment on any of the tour hosts’ photos to enter to win a $10 Amazon gift card.
**The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2) is on $0.99 sale
from January 7-13, 2020!**
Amy's lived with her head in the clouds since she first picked up a book as a child, and being fluent in two languages means she's read a lot of books! She first picked up a pen on a rainy day in fourth grade when her class had to stay inside for recess. Tales of treasure hunts with her classmates eventually morphed into love stories between men, and she's been writing ever since. She writes evenings and weekends—or whenever she isn't at her full-time day job saving the planet at Canada's largest environmental non-profit.
An unapologetic introvert, Amy reads too much and socializes too little, with no regrets. She loves connecting with readers. Join her Facebook Group to stay up-to-date on upcoming releases and for access to early teasers, find her on Instagram and Twitter, or sign up for her infrequent newsletter here.
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/amyaislin
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AmyAislinAuthor
QueeRomance Ink: https://www.queeromanceink.com/mbm-book-author/amy-aislin/